Wednesday, September 03, 2008

For My Conservative Blog-Friends Still Defending Palin

Republican strategists Mike Murphy and Peggy Noonan, believing themselves off mic:

Mike Murphy: You know, because I come out of the blue swing state governor world: Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush. I mean, these guys -- this is how you win a Texas race, just run it up. And it's not gonna work. And --

PN: It's over.

MM: Still McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech to do himself some good.

CT: I also think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchinson, too.

PN: Saw Kay this morning.

CT: Yeah, she's never looked comfortable about this --

MM: They're all bummed out.

CT: Yeah, I mean is she really the most qualified woman they could have turned to?

PN: The most qualified? No! I think they went for this -- excuse me-- political bullshit about narratives --

CT: Yeah they went to a narrative.

MM: I totally agree.

PN: Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it.

MM: You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical.

CT: This is cynical, and as you called it, gimmicky.

MM: Yeah.


In an alternate universe, television pundits would be smart people giving honest analysis even when they know the mics are on.

17 comments:

Lubab No More said...

A lot of people don't like Chuck Todd but I think he is really great at cutting through the crap and giving some good analysis. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to cite your data that religious fundamentalism is correlated with unwed births?

Jewish Atheist said...

scottynx:

Honestly, I've been looking. Hard to find good data. So far, I've seen that religious teens are less likely to have sex, but more likely to not use a condom their first time. But I haven't found a great source yet.

Comrade Kevin said...

The media has given its degree of adulation to Palin after her speech last night.

I want to see what she has to say when she doesn't have a teleprompter in front of her.

Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

Republican strategists Mike Murphy and Peggy Noonan, believing themselves off mic:

Noonan responded-

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

Jewish Atheist said...

I think we know now that she'll say anything to help her party when she knows she's on record.

Anonymous said...

I'm a conservative atheist presently-converting jew, and you don't need to convince me Palin is a horrid choice. Intellectual conservatives like myself have seen through the smoke and mirrors. The choice was not McCain's but that of his advisors anyways.

Her speech last night was silent on the issues of immigration, a sound foreign policy, limited government, lower taxation, and property rights (and the nature of rights in general).

Fact is, both tickets are left-of-center in thier ideology, so liberals like yourself have nothing to lose really.That's not my opinion, that's just as things sit right now.

jewish philosopher said...

Apparently, McCain wanted a running mate who is:
Republican, obviously.
A senator or governor.
A woman (like Hillary).
A new comer to politics (like Obama).

There is only one - Palin.

I don't think it's going to help him, but it's a nice try.

Jack Steiner said...

Palin has cost him several votes. I don't like her at all.

Orthoprax said...

Just to be clear, I think Palin was a smart political choice by McCain even while I do hold deep reservations about Palin as a leader for experience reasons and her political positions. But all the same, I just don't appreciate cheap shots.

Ezzie said...

She seems to have gotten him more votes than she lost. By a lot.

Noonan said that before she spoke, I believe she was rather turned on her head afterward. And really - so?

CyberKitten said...

Sarah Palin - Just one heart attack away from being President... if the Republican's win that is....

I remember the joke about the two most terrifying words in the English language: President Quayle.... How about President Palin?

[rotflmao]

Jewish Atheist said...

Noonan said that before she spoke, I believe she was rather turned on her head afterward. And really - so?

And so, I'm pointing out that you guys are being duped by people who even themselves don't believe what they're saying. Kind of like how Rush Limbaugh admitted that he was tired of "carrying water" for President Bush.

Ezzie said...

Huh? How does that follow?

Jewish Atheist said...

Maybe some of you came to your conclusions by yourselves, but I think a lot of people are influenced by these pundits -- if not directly, then indirectly, because the pundits shape the national conversation. If the pundits are knowingly lying and end up convincing you of something even they don't believe, that would kind of make you a sucker, right? :-) No offense.

Anonymous said...

Bill Clinton seems to say quite a few pro Obama things he doesn't really seem to mean.

Palin isn't a choice the Republican pundits would like. That is what many of the regular Republicans like about her.

Ezzie said...

Again, doesn't follow. She seems to have been impressed by the Palin speech.

The RW talk shows etc. have no problem criticizing GOP candidates during election season, usually for not being RW enough. They aren't saying anything they don't believe - they still think anyone is better than Obama. That's not a "dupe".