Thursday, February 07, 2008

Byron Scott on the Shaq Trade

I don't care what people say, I think the Suns got better. At least for a year or two. (So did the Heat.)

Via Michael Wilbon:
The person who changed my mind about the trade was standing in the visitors' dressing room before the game. Byron Scott, a candidate for NBA coach of the year, didn't like the trade for the Suns; he loved it. Scott flashed back to the end of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's career, when he was nearing 40. Magic, Worthy, Scott and either A.C. Green or Michael Cooper, would run the Showtime Lakers break with Kareem bringing up the rear. "And when we needed to slow it down, wait for him and throw it in to him in the playoffs," Scott said, "he could still command a double-team, as Shaq will. He can either score or find a great shooter."

Nephtuli disagrees.

2 comments:

dbackdad said...

Being here in Phoenix, my first reaction was shock. But the more I've analyzed it, the more I've heard Shaq and the team talk about it, I like it more and more.

A lot of people outside the Valley don't understand how much negativity there had been in the lockerroom over the last 6 months between Marion and several of the Suns players. I love Marion and feel he is a unique multi-talented player, but he's always been a bit of a baby.

And having a true center is going to allow Amare to be what he truly is ... a forward. His game is going to get even better.

Jack Steiner said...

I miss having Shaq on the Lakers.